Is CBD Oil Good For Skincare?
What is Cannabidiol/ CBD oil?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a natural chemical compound derived from a plant named Cannabis sativa. Manufacturers extract CBD oil with the help of heat and then combine it with other oils such as coconut oil or hemp oil to formulate the CBD oil.
What does Cannabidiol do for the skin?
Cannabidiol has a variety of anti-inflammatory properties and is used for treating many skin conditions such as eczema, acne, and psoriasis.
CBD oil basically acts on the sebocytes in the skin, glands that produce sebum. A moderate amount of sebum production can prove beneficial for the skin but excessive amounts can result in acne production. Owing to the anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and oil-reducing properties of CBD oil, it has done wonders for people with acne-prone skin.
- How does CBD oil help reduce signs of aging?
Oxidative stress hastens the aging process. CBD oil helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines owing to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
CBD oil has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties and can be used by people suffering from skin infections.
CBD oil helps increase the production of collagen and promotes collagen remodeling which in turn gives a skin-tightening effect.
What are the other benefits of CBD oil?
In addition to the vast benefits of CBD oil for the skin, it also offers benefits in the medical field. These include:
- CBD oil alleviates anxiety and depression
- It reduces the symptoms of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- It treats opioid addiction
- It helps treat epilepsy syndromes
- CBD oil alleviates the symptoms of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- It results in the reduction of chronic and unmanageable pains
- It inhibits arthritis symptoms
- CBD oil has also proven beneficial in easing diabetic complications. This is a revolutionizing step.
- It protects against the development of a neurological disease.
Is CBD skincare legal?
CBD oil is derived from the plant Cannabis sativa from which marijuana is also extracted. There has been a debate regarding the legality of CBD oil use in skincare products. According to the current laws, hemp-derived CBD oil present in less than 0.3 percent concentration in skincare products has been made federally legal. However, concentrations of more than 0.3 percent are still considered under the legal definition of marijuana and are federally illegal.
Is CBD skincare safe?
Since CBD products are available without a prescription, most people think that using these products is totally harmless. But this may not be true. CBD products when taken orally can cause liver damage. So it is advisable to regularly monitor liver function when taking CBD products orally. Moreover, FDA prohibits the use of CBD products in pregnant and breastfeeding women both in the form of CBD creams or oral tablets.
CBD skincare topical products may cause the development of a skin rash, redness, and irritation. It is always recommended to do a skin patch test before buying a CBD skincare product.
How to choose the best-suited CBD product?
CBD skincare products are formulated using full-spectrum CBD oil, broad-spectrum CBD oil and CBD isolate.
- Full-spectrum CBD oil contains all the ingredients present in hemp including minute amounts of THC. Broad-spectrum CBD oil, on the other hand, contains flavonoids, terpenes, and cannabinoids but no THC has been detected.
- CBD isolate is the purest form and does not contain any other compound found in hemp plants.
- CBD isolate is the best form of this oil as it is the purest form and proves to be most beneficial for the skin. This is because it does not clog pores and contains a good quantity of antioxidants.
- When choosing CBD-containing products, you need to know why you are using the product. For example, if you wish to use the CBD product for anxiety or pain relief, you need to choose the product that contains a higher percentage of CBD oil in order for it to be effective.
- The most important step is to consider the quality of the product. You will need to make sure that you opt for a trustworthy brand that delivers the best results through its products.
- Additionally, you may also consider the price of the product, CBD potency, and customer reviews before spending your hard-earned money on it.
Do CBD skincare products irritate your skin?
Although most people tolerate the CBD skincare products very well, some people may suffer a sensitivity reaction to the products resulting in:
- Skin rash
It is advisable for people who have sensitive skin to do a skin patch test before incorporating the CBD skincare product into their regular skincare routine. Given below is the procedure to do a skin patch test:
- Apply a small amount of the CBD skincare product to a small area of the arm or the crook of your elbow.
- Cover it and let it sit for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, check for any redness, rash, or itching.
Are hemp beauty products good? What do they do for your skin?
Hemp beauty products are derived from the hemp plant which is very high in fibrous content. The beauty industry is very keen on including hemp cold-pressed seed oil in their skincare products as it contains high concentrations of antioxidants, vitamins and is a cocktail of all known amino acids. The benefits that hemp beauty products offer include:
- Soothing and calming effect on the skin
- Skin hydration
- Treat acne
- Reduce inflammation
- Treat atopic dermatitis and other skin conditions
Morales-Brown, L. (2021, January 14).Is CBD oil good for skin? Retrieved from Medical News Today: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/cbd-oil-for-skin
Nazish, N. (2019, December 30).Everything You Need To Know About CBD Skincare. Retrieved from Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/nomanazish/2020/12/30/everything-you-need-to-know-about-cbd-skincare/?sh=5817ce03abf4
XUE, F. (2022, March 02).Confused About CBD in Skincare? Here's Everything You Need to Know. Retrieved from Byrdie: https://www.byrdie.com/cbd-skincare